The most evil and insidious aspect of the recently rediscovered and widely discussed phenomena of ‘mass formation’—is that those no doubt belonging to it, most often appear totally unmoved and unaffected by even the most appallingly insane of atrocities. Atrocities that are currently and openly being committed right before their eyes! And keep in mind—we’re talking about the welfare of children here!
Prior to 2020, you’d have been hard pressed trying to find a single person not completely appalled, disgusted and enraged to the core by the tragic story of ‘Baby Alex’ as told to us by Margaret Anna Alice in her brilliantly written article attached below.
Now you’d be flat out trying to find a single person who gives a solitary toss!
It’s as though the most basic fundamentals of human emotion have somehow been erased from the masses— leaving those of us who still appear to have a beating heart and warm blood pumping through our veins surrounded by beings—whom whilst basically “looking the same”— appear to be operating on some form of autopilot— a kind of pre-programmed digitised synthetic replication of human emotion.
It’s sometimes quite difficult not to notice that strangely vacant, dull and awry nonplussed glint in the eye. As though each and every day finds you living a real life scene from the Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Thanks for reading Shouting in space! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.
I feel that Mattias Demet's theory of 'mass formation psychosis' is too simplistic an argument for what transpired in society but I do believe that the COVID-19 propaganda highlights what we learnt from the Asch and Millgram experiments from the 1950s and 1960s in human psychology: individuals are prepared to lie to themselves in order to conform to the majority view and that fear of authority leads people to commit unspeakable acts of cruelty.
Baby Alex's story and the sheer cruelty of preventing people from seeing their loved ones in nursing homes and hospitals, from fulfilling the rituals of love, kindness and spirituality when people group together and normalising the exile of free-thinkers, or the 'wrong thinkers,' has completely shattered my faith in society to do what is morally right.
As I’ve written elsewhere of Mattias Desmet and mass formation theory is the following:
(1) I found it useful early on in the pandemic and later as a superficial explanation.
(2) it gets more problematic upon considering those who do not fall into mass formation.
(3) It fails to adequately address the full historical and cultural factors behind this mass formation
(4) there is a faint but real danger of engaging in a blame the victims mentality
(5) there is a kind of schizophrenic view in the dangers of both blaming the victims and failing to adequately explain a conspiracy of just who, what and how induced this mass formation.
(6) If there’s no vast conspiracy which induced this mass formation then we are blaming the victims.
(7) alternatively by comprehending the vast conspiracy which most certainly does exist the reality of many years of propaganda, of state sponsored terror, of widespread suppression and the top-down mandating of psychological instability in the form of Nonsensical Woke ideology there is a group responsible for successfully imposing psychological terror on those affected.